Authentic Spanish Tortillas
An easy and authentic Spanish Tortilla recipe using egg, potato, onion, Nomad olive oil, and salt. By far the best Spanish tortilla you'll try.
- 1 Frying Pan
- 2 Lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- 8 Large Eggs
- 1 Large Spanish Onion
- Nomad Extra Virgin Olive Oil for frying
- Peel the potatoes and rinse them under cold water. Slice them thinly using a sharp knife
- Pat the potato slices dry with paper towels and put them into a large bowl, then sprinkle with salt and mix well.
- Heat a ½ inch of high quality extra virgin olive oil in a large frying pan over medium low heat. When the oil is hot, add the potatoes and add more oil if necessary until all are covered.
- Cook the potatoes on low heat for 20 minutes. They may break down a little; this is okay. You basically want to poach the potatoes but do not brown.
- While the potatoes are cooking, beat the eggs in a large bowl and season with some salt.
- Slice the onion thinly, and add them to the cooking potatoes.
- Once the potatoes and onions have fried for 20 minutes, remove them with a skimmer or slotted spoon into a colander and allow them to cool and drain for at least 5 minutes.
- Place potatoes and onions into a bowl and add the eggs. Gently mix well to coat the potatoes.
- Pour out the frying oil from the potatoes and save it for another batch. Place the pan over medium-low heat and pour in the potato and egg mixture.
- Cook over medium-low heat for about 6-8 minutes. Make sure the heat is low enough or the tortilla will cook too quickly and burn. You can run a rubber spatula along the edges to make sure the tortilla isn't sticking.
- To flip the tortilla, take a large plate and put it over the pan and flip quickly. Slide the tortilla back into the pan to cook the other side, and cook for another 6-8 minutes.
- Slide the tortilla out of the pan onto a serving plate and let cool 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Feel free to add ham, vegetables, or any other inclusion before cooking tortillas – YUMMY!