Chermoula (pronounced “cher-MOO-lah”) is a marinade and sauce popular throughout northern Africa, especially in Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia. It is traditionally composed of fresh green herbs (often cilantro) that are pounded into a paste along with preserved lemons, olive oil, garlic, salt and a wide variety of dried spices. The exact combination and proportions of ingredients vary by region, but in general the flavor calls to mind a strong, herb-forward pesto or chimichurri sauce, seasoned with African spices and heightened with the bright, acidic notes of preserved lemon.
Traditional Chermoula is often used as a marinade for fish and meat before grilling or roasting, but it is also frequently served as a condiment for cooked foods.
We’ve recreated the flavor profile of authentic Chermoula in a convenient dry form. Nomad Spice Co. Chermoula Seasoning is a complete combination of herbs, spices and other seasonings including lemon peel and a touch of ground chiles. It’s ready to use as a dry rub, or it can be made into a loose paste with olive oil, white wine vinegar or even just water, creating a refreshing alternative to pesto or chimichurri.
- Use to season grilled or roasted seafood, meat and poultry
- Add to ground lamb or beef to make deliciously seasoned kabobs or burgers
- Blend into plain Greek yogurt and use to marinate fish or poultry before roasting or grilling
- Season scone, biscuit or cracker dough with chermoula for a surprising savory take on standard breads
- Stir into a loose paste with olive oil and lemon juice to make a dipping sauce for roasted root vegetables
Superior Quality & Simple Ingredients
Packed in Resealable Natural Kraft Bags