ASTA stands for the American Spice Trade Association, a group founded in 1907 that represents spice producers, brokers, growers, dehydrators, traders and so on. The ASTA number simply refers to the brightness of the red color and is a means of classification. Our Paprika is of the highest grade, hence it’s bright red color. It has a slightly smoky, very sweet smell with bitter notes at the back. This is the paprika of choice for everyday cooking.
Paprika is technically native to North and Central America and was used by the indigenous peoples as a food and as a coloring agent. Spanish explorers became enamored with the plant and brought it back to Spain. Today, Hungary and Spain are the major producers of paprika, with the United States as a distant third.
Paprika is produced from peppers ripened to redness, sometimes called ‘pimento’, the same as used to stuff olives. Our Paprikas’ bouquet is slightly warm and sweet. This versatile spice provides a highly concentrated flavor and red coloring capability to foods.
A common ingredient in both Spanish and Hungarian cuisines
120-140 range ASTA spice grade (premium)
- Perfect for the Hungarian specialties Chicken Paprikash and Goulash
- Lends rich red color and subtle smokiness to cream-based sauces and soups
- A delicious complement to poultry, pork and shrimp
- Add to stews featuring beans, lentils, sausage, chicken, shrimp or other seafood for a deep, complex flavor component
- Adds sweet pepper flavor and color when sprinkled over deviled or baked eggs
- Add to vinaigrette’s or infuse into olive oil and use to dress salads
Superior Quality & Simple Ingredients
Packed in Resealable Natural Kraft Bags