Sumac is a spice that is popular in the Middle East. It comes from the berries of a shrub that grows wild in all Mediterranean areas, especially in Sicily, southern Italy, and parts of the Middle East.
The flavor of Nomad Spice Co. Sumac is surprising as the spice reminds one of fresh lemon juice with a sweet and sour kick. While having a distinct flavor profile, sumac still blends exceptionally well with other spices such as allspice, chili, thyme, and cumin.
Ground sumac is an essential ingredient in Arabic, Turkish, Iranian, and Moroccan foods. It is a versatile spice, and can be added to a meat rub, used as a flavoring in vegetable dishes, and is the perfect seasoning for homemade hummus. The tanginess of Sumac is ideal for lamb and duck as it cuts through the fattiness of the meat.
Dark purplish red with brown undertones
Sour, fruity and astringent
- Sprinkle Sumac on fish, chicken or salads
- Season marinades, salad dressings, soups, hummus
- Use as a rub for meats prior to grilling
- Mix with strained yogurt for a light, delicate sauce
- Try substituting anywhere you might squeeze fresh lemon juice
Superior Quality & Simple Ingredients
Packed in Resealable Natural Kraft Bags